Part-time Evening ESOL Instructor
We are looking for a capable, enthusiastic, dedicated individual to join our team. This is a great opportunity to deliver high quality adult education programs that help participants reach their goals and improve their lives.
Sound Learning is a non-profit organization that provides education for adults through community-based small group tutoring and classes in Mason and Thurston Counties. Our mission is “We educate adults to succeed and contribute to their community”.
This position requires the ability to facilitate learning in-person and distance learning with adults who may be new to distance learning.
ESOL Instructor Position:
The ESOL Instructor will facilitate English language learning (reading, writing, speaking, listening, and math) with adults and out of school youth (16+) who are immigrant learners. Our program values learner-centered instruction and the use of volunteers. This position requires the ability to facilitate interactive learning with limited English speakers. Use of technology is required. The ESOL Instructor will work collaboratively with a team of instructors to plan, teach, and create curriculum for ESOL classes. The instructor will teach face-to-face 4 evenings per week. Students will also participate in distance learning activities during the week. This is a part-time, hourly position. There will be paid preparation time available.
Schedule: 20 hours per week Monday through Thursday, for instruction, planning/preparation, data collection and documentation. Training provided. Instruction currently includes four 2.5/hr in-person classes per week, distance assignments, weekly check-ins with students, and lesson preparation.
Pay: $18-20 per hour D.O.E.
Ideal start date: As soon as possible. Position will remain open until filled.
Please submit a resume, letter of interest, two references, and completed application to email@example.com. Application materials can also be sent via mail to PO Box 2529 Shelton, WA 98584.
- Coordinate with staff to obtain intake and goal-setting information on new students.
- Provide ESOL instruction around students’ goals, priorities, and abilities. Design interactive, standards-based lessons and activities.
- Deliver instruction in person and assign digital or online lessons using level appropriate material and a combination of Google Voice or other online platforms and/or prepared material, such as power points or videos as homework. Training provided.
- Collaborate with the ESOL Program Managers, under the supervision of the Executive Director
- Submit documented attendance weekly; maintain and update student files in a timely manner.
- Assess and document progress.
- Participate in staff orientation and professional development opportunities to improve instructional practices and keep current in the field of adult education.
Experience & Education:
- Required: Background in adult education. Experience in ESOL Instruction. Ability to speak, read and write in Spanish & English (Knowledge of Mam a plus)
- Effectively teach adults and out of school youth in-line with standards and best practices.
- Effectively communicate with limited English speakers.
- Ability to create distance assignments and video-based lessons.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite. Experience with Google Suite, a plus.
- Experience using Zoom for meetings, instruction, and support with students.
- Work collaboratively as part of a team, and independently without direct supervision.
- Highly organized with effective problem-solving skills
- Strong English language, reading, & writing skills.
Interested in our Programs?
If you’d like to know more about our programs, or are interested in how you can help send us a message!